Image Map

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

We had a "Germ" filled day!

We had a germy day today! It was the first day of my mini unit on germs. About 8:15 each morning the class lines up for the first bathroom break of the day. As the kiddos were getting in line, I put on an A+ performance! Someone really should nominate me for an Oscar. I had a coughing and sneezing fit! Then I shook hands with the kids in line; telling them how much I missed them over the long weekend. For some reason they all started looking at their hands and comparing hands as I went down the line. Can you guess why? I'll give you a hint, check out the picture below:

I had put a lot of fine green glitter in a Germ X bottle before school started this morning. While the kids weren't looking I put a large amount on my hands after my wonderful acting! Before they left for the restroom, we compared hands. You know, the usual questions...Who had the most glitter? Who had the least? Why did they have the most or least? How are germs spread? What are germs? Can they be killed? Why did Mrs. Roberts do this...ect.... My class was so excited about this lesson and the upcoming day!
bottle before glitter
bottle after glitter
During reading groups, the children put together and read their Germ booklet. I was so proud of their reading efforts today! They tried so hard to not miss a single word when it was their turn to read aloud. The booklet was featured in my previous blog post.


We had apples for dessert at lunch. I slipped 2 apple halves back to the room for an experiment. You know, let everyone touch the apple, drop it on the floor, rub it on the bottom of a shoe...just your standard apple experiment. The other apple we did not touch. We are going to observe the apples for the rest of the week and see what happens.


We watched a Bill Nye the Science Guy video clip that I found on YouTube about germs today too. The link is below if you want to take a look.

At one point he discusses Aids. I did not feel that this was appropriate for my 1st graders. Since I had previewed the video I knew where to stop and restart the clip. Granted some of the material was over their heads, but they really picked up a lot of good information from the video.

This is a screen shot of a game called Germz that I purchased for my iPad. Germz is played very much like Bejeweled. The object of the game is to line up 3 or more germs in a row to score points. This was a very popular center today!

Have a wonderful Germ free week!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like great fun for the kids, with some learning snuck in around the edges (and on their hands!) I've been known to make a slide from doorknobs and let them look under the microscope to see what's there. It's fun grossing out 6th graders! ;)

    ReplyDelete